Was The Test in The Garden of Eden a Fair One?

Discussion of Religious Issues in Society
ArgueMax
Site Admin

Was The Test in The Garden of Eden a Fair One?

#1 Post by ArgueMax » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:24 am

Brenda Mattingly Norman on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/BrendaMattinglyNorman) started a discussion with me that lead me to the Garden of Eden story in the bible. From time to time, I have this discussion. Social media is not the place to have such a discussion because:
  1. No one really stands by their comments seriously in social media. So they do not have to ponder deeply or second guess themselves
  2. The design of a social media web site is that important comments are replace by newer ones even if the newer comments have no value or merit
  3. ArgueMax.com Forum is a paid site, but it is a very small amount, it serves to weed out the riff-raff and only serious comments are presented.
If you wanted to talk biblical importance with me and I said "buy me a cup of coffee and we will discuss it" and you refused, it meant that my time is not important to you. If you are not going to respect someone else's opinion, you cannot expect me anyone else to think your opinion has value. For about the cost of a cup of coffee, we can discuss and debate this and, unlike facebook, it will remain online for others to see and learn from.

There is more but, I will "cut to the chase". The Garden of Eden story has a logical flaw and no Almighty God would have done the test with the fruit. In the original Hebrew text, the "Tree of Knowledge" is more accurately described as it is the "Tree of Knowledge of Right and Wrong". I suspect translators might have caught on to the logical problem the story had and renamed the tree. The "Tree of Knowledge of Right and Wrong" bore fruit that gave those who ate it the knowledge of right from wrong. Before Adam and Eve ate the the fruit, they did not know right from wrong.

You cannot fairly punish someone who does not know right from wrong as Adam and Eve did prior to eating the fruit. So the punishment and the test was not a fair one and one that an Almighty God would not have done.

It goes further. I can remember decades ago on NBC television the national news talked about an archaeological dig where they found engraved tablets of earlier drafts of the Adam and Eve story. The reporter said that the story was originally a children's story. This makes a lot of sense. What better way to instruct your children who are too young to know right from wrong that they need to do the right thing that their parents instruct them to do?