ArgueMax VS. North Korea

ArgueMax
Site Admin

ArgueMax VS. North Korea

#1 Post by ArgueMax » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:26 pm

I am writing this post in December of 2014 shortly after Christmas and after I was one of the fortunate few to see The Interview in a theater. How this movie has influenced actions between world powers has been strange and interesting and wroth with unexpected twists and turns.

Let's review the history of this movie and how North Korea has reacted to it. First came the previews of the movie, The Interview, in theaters. Then came the condemnations from the North Korean regimes. Sony, at that time, seemed to enjoy the free publicity that their screw-ball comedy was receiving. The condemnation and harsh criticism that the movie was getting by North Korea in the United Nations was unexpected and more than Sony could have hoped for. It is needless to say that no one took North Korea seriously because, frankly, how could anyone take the remarks seriously against what everyone assumed was a harmless motion picture. But then came the cyber attack and hack into Sony's computer system. Then things took an ugly turn. Sony seemed unscathed by the theft and distribution of personal data and information, and so the North Korean hackers took things to the next level. They insisted that movies that show The Interview would suffer 9-11 style attacks on Christmas day. Then Sony (for lack of a better description) caved in.

I have studied North Korea for years. At one time it was part of my job to know about North Korea when I worked for the US Military. But these events even took me by surprise. When Sony made the announcement that they effectively "pulled" The Interview from theaters, I began formulating a response I would post on ArgueMax.com.

But things took another unexpected turn. I learned that there were 300 cinemas across the country that were going to show The Interview on Christmas -- the day the movie was to first shown. I found one of these theaters and I felt it was my duty to go see the movie.

(to be continued)